This is a quick and short guidence to install Apache Tomcat on Windows.
1. Make sure JDK (Java Development Kit) already installed on your Operating Systems (OS). How to install JDK? Go to this page.
2. Download Apache Tomcat installation package in this page.
3. Run the installation package.
4. Mostly you just have to click “Next”. And please notice that in the middle of installation, Apache Tomcat will detect the existence of your JRE (Java Runtime Environment) . It means that this installation can not be processed without JDK-installed on your Operating System.
5. Just continue “Next” until you click “Finish”.
6. Set the CATALINA_HOME environment variables. Fill that variable with your tomcat installation directory. For example : C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache Tomcat 6.0.18. You can learn how to configure Windows environment variables in this page.
7. Restart your Windows.
8. Open file tomcat-users.xml which is located in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache Tomcat 6.0.18\conf. This is a file to manage the user of Tomcat. You have to register an admin user so that you can get into the Tomcat Manager homepage. This is an example of the tomcats-user.xml content :
<tomcat-users> <user name="admin" password="admin" roles="admin,manager" /> </tomcat-users>
“User name” variable describes the name of the user. “Password” variable describes the password for certain “user name”. “Roles” describes the user-right level.
9. Once your Tomcat is well installed, you can start your Tomcat from Tomcat Configuration Wizard.
Have a GREAT code! ^______^